Sunday, July 17, 2005

Alex Majoli points and shoots special techniques

Rob Galbraith DPI: Special techniques

This article provided the inspiration to try to use a digital camera for street photography. I had just accepted the shutter lag, and beep and fake shutter sound, and the slowness of the process. I had a Canon G6 and modified it to use manual focus. I could not see the focus confirmation light in bright light so I needed the beep sound. For manual focus I could not see the LCD in the sunlight, but I could see if the manual focus was in the range for depth of field at 35mm EFL. I looked at the Olympus 7070 and bought one, the viewfinder is much better, I can see the focus confirmation light in the sunlight, and I can even use the LCD for making settings. The key to the Olympus though is setting up customized settings using the My Settings menu. I have four settings, color outdoors, black and white outdoors, indoors black and white with minimum light, and manual focus at 28mm with the hyper focus distance set. It really works. Even though I can convert color to black and white in Photoshop I like to take pictures in black and white, it feels better. Anyway this article started this whole exploration.

No comments:

Post a Comment